500 Tiger Drive
Excelsior Springs, MO 64024
Phone 816-630-1040






Click on photo above for additional park photos.

Sunnyside Park at 304 Dunbar and Beverly offers ADA accessible play equipment, two gazebos and grills for picnicking. Sunnyside Park is an eight-acre, neighborhood park. The rolling grassy park is dotted with several mature, deciduous shade trees, primarily oak and elm.



In 1910 when landscape architect George E. Kessler was preparing a plan for improvements to Excelsior Springs with a proposed park system, the area which is today Sunnyside Park was shown under the heading "Properties under contract." Files in the Excelsior Springs Historical Museum, however, list Sunnyside Park as the first city park, with a date of 1909. The site is located in the Sunnyside Addition, which was platted in 1904 and 1906. A photo of the site was published in a 1912 souvenir guidebook which also lists it as a park. The captions reads, "A World of Wild Flowers, Sunnyside Park", and showed a hillside meadow, tall shade trees, and a horse standing in the field. Sunnyside was owned by the city at this time, but was probably considered one of the beautiful natural areas which surrounded the Fishing River valley.

In a July, 1914 City Council meeting, E.L. Morse reminded the group of promises that the City apparently made regarding developing a park at the Sunnyside Spring site. At this time, the property was included in 16 acres owned by the Ettenson estate. In August, it was confirmed that the property was still being considered for park development, and listed its attractions of a fine spring of mineral water, location on a paved driveway with ornamental street lights, and many fine trees. It wasn't until 1919 that Sunnyside tract was condemned by the City of Excelsior Springs as park land. The City actually acquired the land later, after a delay in 1920 by citizens who wanted a park in the vicnity of the Salax spring instead.

After the turn of the century, camping was beginning to be viewed as a form of outdoor recreation. City officials realized the need for providing camping grounds for this new breed of visitor to Excelsior Springs -- the automobile "Tourist". By at least 1917, discussions were held as to which site in Excelsior Springs would be most suitable for a Tourist Camping Ground. The earliest plans called for Sunnyside Park to serve as the Tourist Park.

In 1923 it was decided to move the Tourist Park from Sunnyside to Carnation Hill (now Siloam Mountain Park) and Sunnyside Park became what it remains today -- a neighborhood park for the adjacent residential district.

For more park history, click here.



Click here for directions.

FACILITY REGISTRATION



AMENITIES



• 2 Shelters
• Picnic Tables
• BBQ Grills
• Playground Equipment
• Swings
• Restrooms




Parks | Programs | Projects | Register Online | Calendar | Senior Center | Foundation | Park History | News | Contact | Report a Problem | Location | Home

© Copyright 2014, Excelsior Springs Parks & Recreation Department, Excelsior Springs, Missouri, All Rights Reserved
City of Excelsior Springs, Missouri
Site Design and Management by Morgansites.com